Monday 24 July 2017

On Disability

My faith doesn't have anything to say about why people have impairments. It doesn't tell me there is some special value to disabled people that makes up for their limitations. It tells me that we're all equally valuable, rich or poor, healthy or ill, mobile or not - and that society has failed to accept and reflect that. It tells me that I, and hopefully we, should be trying to change society to allow everyone the fullest possible access to the things people take for granted, and for that matter everything they don't take for granted as well. It tells me that there's a fundamental injustice in a society made by unimpaired people for unimpaired people, just as much as a society made by men for men, or by white people for white people.

Written June 2017
If you enjoy this blog, or otherwise find it worthwhile, please consider contributing to my Patreon. More information about this, and the chance to comment, can be found in the post announcing the launch of my Patreon.